Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Jamesen's Appointment

I can't for the life of me remember what they called the thing on his head... it was like an AVI or something. Something to do about a bulging vein. I can't remember..

Anyways, the bulge is right on top of, or connected to the main vein that runs along the head and connects to the jugular. This could pose a risk, so we're scheduled to do an MRI and an MRA on the 6th of October. He said that it might possibly go away on it's own, but the fact that it's not already started to by now and that it could be connected to the jugular, makes him want to get more testing done.

He initially wanted to do it like November, but we're hoping to be out of here by the end of October. Rather than having us move and possibly not getting the tests done at all, he's going to bring them forward. I was happy about that. We were supposed to have this appointment in Kentucky but the lady never made my appointment (despite lots of calls) and then we ended up moving and I kept forgetting to call. Then when I did call, we had to wait four weeks. I'd rather just get it over and done with at this point!

SO... we'll have to not give him food or drink for 12 hours before the MRI (which is at 7:15 am). I'm gonna have to get up pretty early since it's an hour away. Anyways, he'll have to be sedated because the MRI takes half an hour to 45 mins of laying completely still and then he'll stay asleep because the MRA is the same thing. Please give us your prayers. I'm nervous about him being put under. I know younger babies have been put under, but I'm sure any mother would be nervous of their child at any age being put under.

I'll update more after that appointment. We should know A LOT after that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're going through this with your little man, but in the end it will be good to know! My oldest daughter went for a sedated MRI when she was five, we had it done at the children's hospital and they were great. The sedation they use is IV sedation, and at least at our hospital she got to breathe in a gas from a silly mask first that sedated her even before they inserted the IV. She felt no pain and had no memory of it other than waking up with us in the room, getting a balloon I had purchased from the gift shop. They were even able to do all of her bloodwork while she was still sedated (if Jamesen happens to need any, you could ask!) I hope it goes smoothly for him and that you can get the answers you need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Its me Ashlee. Aiden had an MRI & MRA when he was 6 months old. He has a cyst on the top of his head and they thought it could be dangerous. He was put under, and i cried. They were so nice to him but all i could think about was the fact that he might not wake up, and that was nerve racking to me. In the MRI/MRA room they would not let me stay so i had to sit in the waiting room. It was the worst 50 minutes of my life. I have never been so worried. However, they got him back to me we went upstairs, and he woke up about 10 min later. Him opening his eyes was the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life. :) dont worry girl.. Your baby will be great!!! They will take good care of him and as soon as you get panicky, you will see his eyes open and look at you. :)

    ReplyDelete