Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Helloooooo Las Vegas!

Here I sit in Las Vegas where it's roughly 55 degrees. The kids played out in my mom's sandbox all afternoon and dug around in the dirt some too. No heavy coats/mittens/hats, no frozen fingers/noses and no complaining about it being cold from anybody!

It's been awhile getting here! The last few days have been long and stressful, though spotted by a few really awesome things as well.

Sabe and I didn't have much furniture when we left Kentucky. The place we were living in was fully furnished, so we threw away our ragged old couch, tossed aside our dinky table, used our sad excuse for a bed as a guest bed and took full advantage of their dresser since we didn't own one. Living with the good stuff for a year made us realize what a predicament we were in. We decided that almost all of our tax refund this year was going towards new furniture. We were planning on waiting to buy anything until we got to where we were going. That is... until I saw an ad on facebook for a local furniture store going out of business. Sabe and I decided to go down there and check it out, in the off chance we would find something good.

The first thing we saw when we walked in were couches, and none of them were what we were looking for. A bit discouraged, we moved on to the tables and found one we loved but were a bit iffy on the price that it had tagged. From there we moved on to the beds and found a set that I loved immediately! We talked it over and decided that we would ask a sale's rep about the price and what not and decide from there. The price that he told me made my jaw drop. It was a 5 piece bedroom set including a bed, a dresser, a mirror and two night stands for $600. That was 60% off! It was too much of a steal for me to say no, so we signed the papers and got it, along with a mattress/box spring set for $300. We were feeling pretty good about ourselves when we went to pick the items up (after getting Sabe's truck) but I had a nagging feeling about the table. We really liked and it and I knew I was never going to find another deal like 60% off, so I had Sabe ask how much it was. The table and 6 chairs was $700. Another steal we couldn't say no to, so we gobbled it up as well.

I'm still riding the high of spending only $1700 on almost everything that we needed to get. I was expecting it to be way more than that for everything we got. We had to upgrade our storage unit though, so we called in some favors and were able to move all of it in just a few hours. Thanks Skylar and Aaron!

News on my missing laptop isn't so great. They still don't know where it is and it's starting to really irritate me, especially since I've got a ton of stuff piling up on me that need photoshop to get done. Hopefully they find it soon. If they don't, I'll be pushing for a new one!

The drive down was relatively good. We left a little late at about 7 pm last night. I was hoping that the boys would sleep most of the way if we left that late and we had the dvd players for when they were awake. That didn't really go to plan... Marcus passed out about half an hour into the drive and slept for about 2 hours so it took FOREVER for him to go to sleep last night. Luckily though, he was very happy and cheerful the entire time he was awake. Jamesen stayed awake for the first 3.5 hours, slept for about 45 minutes and then screamed the last 45. As much as it's hard to drive with a screaming baby (especially when you know that it will be much better to just push forward and get there so you can take them out and leave them out), it could have been so much worse! He was so happy and giggly before he fell asleep. He doesn't normally like long car rides, so I was very thankful for that.

Time went a lot faster for me when it was dark than when it's light. I've driven during the day quite a few times and it never went that fast for me. I was pleasantly surprised when we got over the hill and saw Vegas like a sea of lights in front of us. That was the best drive down to Vegas I've ever had with the boys! What a nice change.

We're adjusting well and have everything already settled in it's new place, ready for the next few months and loving this warm weather! Can't wait to get my lappy back so I can share some pics with you!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm sad we didn't get together one more time before you left :( Hooray for being somewhere you love, though!!! Can't wait to see your pics!! PS. I SERIOUSLY can't believe you still don't have your laptop back. Really???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids sure do love the fort. The backyard will look better when the grass comes in, though.

    ReplyDelete