Thursday, January 13, 2011

Eating In

Sabe likes to eat out... I swear he would eat out every meal if he could! I guess that's what happens when you're a single military guy for as long as he was, only getting home cooked meals the few and far between times that he came home to his mom on leave.

When we got married, I would make dinner, but I always ended up making the exact same thing over and over. I was either pregnant or nursing for the first three years of our marriage. It goes without saying that cooking while pregnant can be a bit dicey, but pregnant while nursing is too. It always seemed the baby would want to eat the minute I got up to cook so the meals had to be quick and fast.

When in Kentucky, I never had a car to go grocery shopping so when I did (like once every two weeks) I had to buy stuff that wouldn't spoil before I got to it. The boys and I ended up eating a lot of boxed meals and also a lot of pizza hut since they delivered.

Since we've been back in Utah, I've been cooking a lot more. We were eating out a lot for while there but it was eating up our finances quicker than we could make money. I've started making menus of meals in two week increments and shopping for a weeks worth of food at a time. I'm amazed at how much money we're saving and how much easier it is for me to lose weight now that I'm eating a lot healthier. Makes me feel better that the boys are getting more of a variety as well.

Jamesen will eat anything if his mouth isn't hurting him. The kid makes it so easy. You put food in front of him and he snarfs it. He's got such a fast metabolism that he's constantly eating, I swear!

Marcus is a bit tougher. Since he's hit 3, his eating has slowed down a lot since his growing has slowed. You have to carefully time when you feed him in order to maximize his eating. If you let him snack at all between meals, he won't eat the meal at all and will end up barely eating anything. Even a tiny snack of a handful of peanuts will ruin his appetite for the next meal.

I have to say though... I'm getting to be a pretty dang good cook! Thanks mom for teaching me and better yet, thanks Sabe for always doing the dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment