Monday, January 17, 2011

Couple of firsts...

This last Sunday we had a few firsts. It was Jamesen's first day in nursery without me and Marcus' first day in Sunbeams. Jamesen's had a few days in nursery, but Marcus and I were always there. He would go and play a bit and then run back and cling to me for a few minutes and then go run and play again. I was trying to get him use to it before Marcus' first day in Sunbeams because I knew that one would be the harder one.

I was right. While Jamesen fussed a little bit, he did pretty well. Marcus on the other hand... I couldn't put him down. Any time I would try to sing along with the other little kids, he would throw himself off my lap and start crying. He's flail and kick if I tried to pick him up so I'd leave him there for a few seconds and then tell him to come here and he'd come sit in my lap again.

I had to stay with him the entire time. He warmed up the last 15ish minutes of class when the teacher brought out crayons and such but up until that point he was laying on the floor, hiding under the chairs the entire time.

Sunbeams also made me realize just how far behind he is with speech. The teacher was asking the other kids questions and they were all able to answer. Marcus wasn't. He wasn't paying even the slightest bit of attention, let alone responding. I was a bit embarrassed to be honest. I didn't think he was that far behind until the other kids started having full on conversations.

Marcus is talking so much more than he use to. When he finally did start talking he just exploded with speech. He's been really fast with everything physical wise, but man when it comes to speech, he is just so dang far behind! I can't help but worry a little.

Jamesen is following in his brothers foot steps. While he's not quite as far behind as Marcus was at his age, Jamesen is still behind. He does say new words here and there and is getting really good at saying the ones he already knows. Marcus at that age said maybe 5 or 6 words and never consistently.

Why isn't there a manual for kids? I would love to know exactly what Marcus needs to help him catch up! My only hope is that by the time he's in kindergarten, he's able to communicate properly.

1 comment:

  1. I too have been embarrassed by Austin's speech. I feel like I have failed as a parent because he doesn't talk as well as most kids his age. (He's 4) I was finally able to get him tested for speech therapy, Praying this will help him.

    Maybe this is something you could look into for Marcus?!

    ReplyDelete